This document provides guidelines for personnel and businesses associated with golf courses on the meaning and application of the executive order issued by Denton County Commissioners Court April 14, 2020.
Denton County Judge Andy Eads held a video conference call on Thursday, April 9, with the COO of PGA Americas, and roughly 30 golf course owners or general managers, where it was discussed and agreed if the courses reopened they would establish the following rules for operation. On April 11, 2020, the Texas Attorney General posted a letter clarifying the Governor’s Executive Order GA-14 as it relates to golf courses. As a result, the following rules were determined to be best practices at this time and in keeping with the classification of essential activities.
The purpose of these rules is to outline steps that every Denton County golf course, employee, and golfer must follow to reduce the risk of exposure to COVID-19. The rules describe how to prevent worker exposure to COVID-19 and protective measures that should be undertaken at all golf courses.
Buildings, parking lots, and general grounds
- Golf pro shop and clubhouse must remain closed to all guests. (No restrooms in the clubhouse can be used.)
- All tee times must be made in advance by phone or online. Fees must be collected over the phone or online. No cash or credit payments are allowed onsite; no walk-ups.
- Must schedule a minimum of 15 minutes between each tee time.
- Only golfers will be allowed on the course.
- Walking is preferred and pull carts are allowed. The use of golf carts is permitted only if the cart is privately owned and operated by the owner, or is a cart that has been assigned to an individual and the individual is the sole user for the duration of the Stay at Home order. In either case, usage of a cart is limited to a single person and anyone living in their same household. No more than four (4) golfers will be allowed to tee off every 15 minutes.
- Golfers must self park.
- Members only at this time. No guests of members allowed.
- All players must maintain a minimum of six feet between each person.
- Players are responsible for loading and unloading their clubs from vehicles.
- Once a bag is pulled from the bag room for play, it must go home with the member, and the staff will not touch it again.
- No ice/water machines may be made available.
- No tees or amenity stations may be made available.
- No water stations may be made available.
- Driving range and practice areas will remain closed.
- Minimal staffing beyond those for golf course maintenance and security is allowed.
- Please take all trash and items with you when you leave the course.
- Please arrive on time for a tee time, and leave immediately following your round of golf.
Golf course changes:
- No rakes will be in the bunkers. Bunkers should be considered ground under repair.
- No ball washers will be available for use.
- All cups on the greens will be set up to prevent the golf ball from going in the hole and, thus, keeping players from reaching into the cup.
- Please do not touch the flagsticks.
- No coolers or ice will be available on course. Please bring water or beverage.
- Exhibit social distancing of 6 feet at all times, no exceptions.
- No direct contact with any staff members.
- Groups are not permitted to congregate anywhere.
- No beverage carts are allowed.
- No golf instruction or golf academies are allowed.
- Take out and delivery of food only is allowed; no dine-in or dining at outside tables. All outdoor tables and chairs must be removed.
- State and local authorities closely regulate restaurants. We recommend following the guidance of the National Restaurant Association. Link: National Restaurant Association Resources on Coronavirus